UNARMED Man Killed by Cops with Taser, yesterday in Crescent City

Del Norte man dies in Taser incident

The Times-Standard  June 23, 2010   1:15:10 AM PDT

A Del Norte County man who assaulted two sheriff's deputies [we can always count on the Times Standard to be the immediately decided judge and jury for an execution by cop] Tuesday morning died after he was shot with a Taser and began having trouble breathing, the Del Norte County Sheriff's Office reported.

At 6:31 a.m., the Sheriff's Office received a 911 call regarding a man with a history of psychological problems who was “out of control” at a residence on the 400 block of Cummins Road in Crescent City, a statement said. The reporting party said that he or she and the other residents were scared and had left.

At the residence, the deputies found Daniel Sylvester, who became violent and assaulted the deputies, the Sheriff's Office said [of course that's what the Sheriff's office said]. A Taser was deployed on Sylvester, who continued to assault the deputies, the statement said. Sylvester eventually stopped resisting the deputies long enough that he could be handcuffed, the Sheriff's Office said.

The Sheriff's Office said that Sylvester began having trouble breathing, and an ambulance was called to the scene. Sylvester was given CPR at the scene and in the emergency room at Sutter Coast Hospital, but he could not be revived. Sylvester was pronounced dead by emergency room staff, the statement said.

The deputies were also treated at the emergency room and then released.

Man dies after being Tasered

Two deputies injured during the altercation

A man died after being Tasered during an altercation with Del Norte County sheriff’s deputies Tuesday morning.

Two deputies were injured. [Then why aren't we hearing about those injuries? Are they scrapes from throwing the man down on the ground? Sore fingers from pulling the taser gun so many times?]

Daniel Sylvester, 35, was pronounced dead in the Emergency Room of Sutter Coast Hospital, according to a press release from the Sheriff’s Office.

He was unarmed when he attacked deputies, said sheriff’s Commander Bill Steven.

Authorities are piecing together what happened after a woman called 911 to say her son was out of control at a home on the 400 block of Cummins Road about 6:31 a.m., the statement said.

The woman said Sylvester threatened her and another female in the residence and they left, Steven said. The mother met two deputies at the entrance of the roadway at around 6:40 a.m., he said.

The names of the mother and the other female were not released.

When the two deputies, whose names are also being withheld, made contact with Sylvester he became violent, Steven said.

“He basically attacked the deputies,” said Steven. [And Steven wasn't even there, but somehow he knows...]

Sylvester was then Tasered “by at least” one deputy, Steven said.

“The only  information I got is an officer or officers had to use a Taser on him,” said Steven.

Sylvester eventually stopped resisting long enough for deputies to restrain him, Steven said.

It’s unclear how long or how many times he was Tasered, Steven said.

He estimated the standard Taser deployment is for five seconds and said deputies can Taser someone more than once if there is non-compliance.

“Whether that happened I don’t know,” said Steven.

The Sheriff’s Office is still gathering officers’ reports and information to put together all of  the details, Steven said.

A Sheriff’s Office press release stated Sylvester began having trouble breathing after being handcuffed.

An ambulance was called around 7:13 a.m. and arrived around 7:20 a.m., Steven said. By then, at least five county and city officers were on the scene, he said.

He didn’t know if Sylvester was still breathing when paramedics got there.

Sylvester was given CPR at the residence and in the Emergency Room, according to the press release.

The deputies were treated at the hospital and released, Steven said. He had no details about the injuries, except that they suffered no broken bones.

An autopsy on Sylvester should be completed within the next couple of days, Steven said. Results of toxicology tests will take much longer.

The case is being investigated by the California State Department of Justice and the Del Norte County District Attorney’s Office.

When she made the 911 call, Sylvester’s mother said he had a history of psychological problems, Steven said.

Sylvester apparently did not have any recent criminal history, Steven said.




from Lenda Beck of Del Norte Watch Dogs, June 22, 2010:

"We just got a call that a man was killed by taser today on Cummings RD. Please help us with any information."

from Lenda, June 23, 2010: 

“Officer Stevens says he does not know how many time or how long the man was tased. The taser carries that information. It is clear how many times and how long the tasers were.. “

"We will be announcing a rally for  Daniel Sylvester, who died because of excessive tasing.   Why weren't the officers named in the story?



I spoke with the taser victim's family yesterday and they need our help.. Another son needlessly killed. This woman wanted help for her son she did not want him dead.. The cops knew he was having a manic episode  and this is where the problem occurs. Our officers escalate scenes when they need to de-escalate the problem. Our officers need this type of training. If you look at the taser or shooting deaths, most victims are having an off day so to speak.
Our officers do use excessive force, killing to many people. When there is alternatives to killing the out of control person ... If there are no weapons being used why taser the man to death?  Same as execution- they fried the man,,,,,,,[Eric]Jones had no weapon and [Daniel]Sylvester had no weapon.. They tased him because he did not comply.... He was not in his right mind and they knew this....Then while they are being tased they have no control..I cannot waite to see the taser reports how many times did they tase him. ..
These reports must be preserved.. My sons reports from three officers- city and county- all missing. Along with his personal belongings all gone...They tried to fry Brian Strom but he had a praying mom which is all that saved him,,,

Brian Claypool will be in Crescent city July 15 talking about taser issues. please come and listen to this man

Where will he be?

for now...  We will post the announcement when and if it is planned again.  


Also, if folks in the HUMBOLDT AREA want to have a discussion about Tasers, in particular, why Redwood Curtain CopWatch (and groups all over North America) want to BAN THEM, we would like to set up such an event.